We are in for a stormy day today! Before I delve into my research and writing, I will be prepping, in the event, we need to take cover in the storm shelter. Ah, the good life of Midwestern living.
So, how does one prep for a possible tornado? Here are some ideas:
• Use a weather radio and subscribe to local news channels for weather alerts broadcast to a cell phone.
• Be sure electronic devices are fully charged. Have batteries available to power flashlights and radios during electrical outages.
• Keep a simple travel bag somewhere convenient, that can be quickly filled with essential items that cannot be replaced if the home is totally destroyed.
• Make a list of what to put into the evacuation bag. Keep that list in the bag so as not to forget anything. Remember to have a contact list with important phone numbers – insurance agent needs to be first on this list.
• Important medical information should be stored on a memory card or CD and already in the evacuation bag. Important financial records should be readily available too. Backup the desktop computer to a small, external hard drive or laptop computer.
• Don’t forget medications. Keep them organized and in a nearby location to the evacuation bag.
• Toiletries kept to a minimum – toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, shampoo.
Insofar as supplying the in-ground shelter or safe room, have a supply of water, blankets, first-aid kit, a hammer, and a whistle, just in case we have to make noise to be found. Not a nice thought, but, it is better to be prepared than not.
“Just for the record, the weather today is calm and sunny, but the air is full of bullshit.”
― Chuck Palahniuk